Forums

Forum Home > Did you see this?! > Sheryl Sandberg's Advice to the Graduates

JAWScience

Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer of Facebook Barnard College, May 17

What is so sad is that it’s very clear that my generation is not going to change this problem [of inequality]. Women became 50% of the college graduates in this country in 1981, 30 years ago. Thirty years is plenty of time for those graduates to have gotten to the top of their industries, but we are nowhere close to 50% of the jobs at the top. That means that when the big decisions are made, the decisions that affect all of our worlds, we do not have an equal voice at that table.

If you think big, if you own your own success, if you lead, it won’t just have external costs, but it may cause you some personal sacrifice. Men make far fewer compromises than women to balance professional success and personal fulfillment. That’s because the majority of housework and child care still falls to women…. So it’s a bit counterintuitive, but the most important career decision you’re going to make is whether or not you have a life partner and who that partner is. If you pick someone who’s willing to share the burdens and the joys of your personal life, you’re going to go further. A world where men ran half our homes and women ran half our institutions would be just a much better world…. I know that’s a big challenge and responsibility, a really daunting task, but you can do it. You can do it if you lean in. So go home tonight and ask yourselves, “What would I do if I weren’t afraid?” And then go do it.

Read more: http://www.forward.com/articles/138290/#ixzz1PDfEBYbd

June 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.